What you need to know before working with me
The week before Christmas in 2010 I sat down across the table from my one employee and said “I have to let you go. We have no money, no work and no prospects in the pipeline.” You see I had a dream, as many of you do, to one day own my own successful design firm. In that moment my dream was gone and I was a business failure. The next several months were very difficult as I struggled to come to grips with what had happened and tried to understand why it happened. I need to make a decision where to go and what to do. I decided to continue pursuing my dream of owning a successful design firm and committed to myself that I would never be in that position again. I knew I wanted to rebuild my firm but still did not know how to do it. What I did know was I needed to get more design projects.
I discovered that the way to get more design projects was through marketing. But I didn’t know anything about marketing. We were never taught marketing in school and many in our profession feel if you have to market you’ve done something wrong. So I went on a learning journey to figure out how to market design services. I spent three years working with business coaches and attending marketing seminars, learning from the best in the marketing industry of how to market in the new economy.
Once I got over the mental blocks surrounding marketing and selling, what I learned helped get more design projects, rebuild my practice and return to profitability. This journey also taught me that marketing is actually easy once you know what to do and that I really enjoy marketing. It also helped me get clear on my beliefs and why I do what I do now.
- I firmly believe that if you want to live life on your own terms you need to create your own terms and act on them.
- I believe you will never achieve your dreams while helping someone else fulfill theirs.
- I believe that if you want to live your perfect life you need to take control and actively design the life you want to live to live.
- I believe in the profession of Landscape Architecture.
- I believe Landscape Architects can heal the damage that man has done to our planet.
- I believe that Landscape Architects are the key to mankind surviving sustainably on this planet.
- I believe that Landscape Architecture is the profession which thrives on compromise, understanding and collaboration.
- I believe that if the information I pass along can increase awareness and understanding of the profession of Landscape Architecture it will strengthen the profession and help us all as landscape architects.
- I believe that if the information I pass along helps Landscape architects raise their voice to be heard it helps all of us.
My experience contributes to what I do now
Our life experiences contribute to who we are and what we become as much as any schooling or professional training. It is often life’s simplest lessons that have the most profound impact on who we are as people.
- 1 summer washing dishes in a seafood restaurant. – I believe everyone should have at least one really, really bad job to appreciate the value of a good education and what a really good job is. No job is ever below you.
- 6 years waiting on tables. – This is a great job that I believe everyone should have at least once in their lifetime. It taught me the value of outstanding service and how to rely on other people when things get tough.
- 14 years at a prominent Landscape Architecture firm. – The experience of helping to grow a young firm, as its first employee to a national award winning firm of over 15 people taught me the value of dedication and persistence. I was exposed to and involved in every aspect of growing a design business.
- 6 Years on the Executive committee of the CTASLA as member at large, treasurer and president elect giving back to the profession is essential part of any professional experience.
- 6 years as the owner of Rock Spring Design Group, LLC which has taught me that it requires more than just being a great designer to succeed. You need to be a good business owner and a great marketer.
- 11 years as a father of 4 kids. – Has taught me to see the word through young eyes and appreciate simple joys in life.
- Certified High Performance coach
- A lifetime of playing in the outdoors has taught me the importance of proper stewardship of the land.
Who I Work with
- I Work with Landscape Architects who want to grow their business.
- I Work with Landscape Architects who are committed to making a difference.
- I Work with Landscape Architects who believe in themselves.
- I Work with Landscape Architects are open to learning new ideas and growing.
- I Work with Landscape Architects who are passionate about Landscape Architecture.